Our Underground Utility Locators are responsible, self-motivated individuals who enjoy the freedom of working outdoors (in all weather conditions). The right individual who is committed to safety, comfortable working on their own, pays close attention to detail, and takes pride in completing a job well done.
Utility locators are responsible for pinpointing the paths of Fiber Optic cables, and other conduits that carry utilities underground. The locators' efforts protect underground utilities from damage during projects involving excavation.
Problem-solvers who are not afraid of hard work and know that quality is their priority should consider a career as an Underground Utility Locator with Campus Communications Group.
- Utilize the provided mapping tool and other location information, along with locating equipment
- Read and interpret utility maps / prints to identify the type and size of underground utilities.
- Indicate utility locations through the utilization of paint, flags and communicates other relevant information to excavation personnel or other appropriate authorities.
- Operate different electronic detection equipment, to locate and mark under-ground facilities within prescribed accuracy limits.
- Perform work in all weather conditions, during normal and after hours
- Respond to after-hours emergency call-outs in accordance with the established rotation schedule
- Documents all locates performed and maintains accurate records thereof
- Corrects maps when they are found to be in error.
- Is responsible for care and maintenance of locate instruments.
- Investigates all damages to underground cable and determines and documents to the extent possible the cause of the damage.
- Objectively writes reports of damaged cables in detail to assist in collection of damage claims. May be required to testify in court concerning damages.
- During periods when locate activity is slow, this individual will assist in mapping, record keeping and information gathering and research for office personnel.
- 811 dig process experience preferred
- Use or Irth Solutions Software
- Strong communication skills required
- Great customer service skills required
- Ability and willingness to work both indoors and outdoors
- Time-Management, prioritization and multi-tasking abilities
- Collaborative team skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to easily adapt to changes in processes, procedures and priority
Experience Requirements and Positives:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Valid State driver's license, including an MVR record that is deemed acceptable by the company.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background checks.
- Upon employment, will be subject to random drug testing in compliance with federal, state and company guidelines
- Experience with: MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook. Experience with ArcGIS and Irth Solutions is considered a plus.
- Actual field experience may be considered equivalent to and possibly more important than formal education.